When: October 18th - October 22nd
Where: Barcelona, Spain
Stayed: Andante Hotel (A beautiful 3 star hotel with an amazing rooftop infinity pool. It was an easy 30 mins cab ride from Barcelona International Airport 'BCN'.)
Jon and I had been looking forward to visiting Barcelona since last spring. Jon has family ties in Barca and all my friends have told me I'd absolutely love it for years. While we had a wonderful time, truth be told, I didn't have a visceral connection to the city like I have others. It may have been due to the up and down weather, which kept us almost completely inside on day 2 (and made us miss our helicopter tour) or the political climate at the time, which we're told is the cause of all the graffiti. But even so, there are just some cities that touch your heart and others that don't.
I thought I would love Park Guell, but because of the construction, the weather and the amount of tourists, I found it very underwhelming. On the other hand, I thought La Sagrada Familia would be overrated, but found it to be one of the most beautiful churches I've ever seen. Likewise with Casa Battlo. I underestimated how beautiful it would be inside! I was also so plesanstly surprised with how kind and happy everyone was, even with the current political climate.
- Overnight flight into Barcelona. Arrived at 8am.
- Explored the Las Ramblas neighborhood
- Had lunch inside the Mercado de La Boquiera
- Explored the El Gotic neighborhood
- Took a walking, boat and helicopter tour via Get Your Guide. Our helicopter tour was canceled due to weather.
- Snacks at El Tropico. If you go, ask for Kat! She is wonderful.
- Park Guell tour at 9:00am
- Basilica of the Sagrada Familia tour at 11:15am. We also took the 'Nativity Tower Top Views' tour, which was awesome.
- Explored El Born neighborhood. This was Jon and my favorite neighborhood in the city!
- Picasso Museum
- Breakfast at the beautiful Cotton Hotel
- Casa Battlo 'Be the first one's there' tour at 8:30am. I highly recommend getting up early for this. You have so much more space to walk around and explore. When we were leaving, it was SO crowded.
- Lunch at El National. This place is seriously interior design goals.
- Bogatell Beach. I wish we spent more time here. It was so so so beautiful and lively.
- Breakfast and an early flight home to the US